Have you ever felt like blasting some good music and dancing alone like no one is watching in your living room?
As simple as it sounds, there is actually a name for this physical activity: Ecstatic Dance and it’s a great (and fun) way to leave your worries at the door.
What is Ecstatic Dance?
As the name suggests, Ecstatic Dance is a free-form dance that emphasises creative self-expression and freedom of movement to achieve ecstasy. Unlike traditional dance forms that focus on technique and choreography, Ecstatic Dance encourages you to move uniquely, without any preconceived ideas or expectations.
This modern movement practice has been gaining popularity around the world, as more and more people seek a way to connect with themselves and others through the power of music and dance. Whether you're an experienced dancer or a complete newbie, Ecstatic Dance offers a judgement-free space to express yourself and let loose.
The only rules are no alcohol, no talking and absolutely no judgement.
So what makes Ecstatic Dance special?
One of the key aspects of Ecstatic Dance is the music. Typically, a DJ or live band plays a mix of uplifting, rhythmic and diverse music that allows dancers to explore a wide range of emotions and movements. The music often builds in intensity and encourages participants to fully engage with their bodies and the present moment.
Another important aspect of Ecstatic Dance is the sense of community it fosters. Participants are encouraged to connect with one another through dance, eye contact and other non-verbal cues. The dance floor is often considered a sacred space, where all participants are respected and accepted for who they are, regardless of age, race, gender or ability.
Overall, Ecstatic Dance is a powerful and transformative experience that allows individuals to connect with their bodies, emotions and community in a joyful and non-judgmental environment. It's a great way to reduce stress, increase self-awareness and have fun all at the same time!
Make the living room your dancefloor
If you don’t feel like heading to the dance studio, here are some tips to transform your home into one big dancefloor:
- Create a safe and comfortable space: Make sure the area where you'll be dancing is free of obstacles or hazards that could cause injury. Clear enough space to move around freely and consider using yoga mats or rugs to provide some cushioning.
- Set your intention: Before you start dancing, take a moment to set your intention for the practice. Ask yourself why you're doing this and what you hope to gain from it. This can help you focus and stay present throughout the practice.
- Choose your music carefully: The right music is key to a successful ecstatic dance practice. Look for music that inspires you, gets you moving, and evokes the emotions you want to feel. Create a playlist ahead of time or find a pre-made one that fits your mood.
- Let go of self-judgment: Ecstatic dance is all about freeing yourself from self-judgment and expressing yourself authentically. Let go of any self-consciousness – this is a judgment-free zone, so just let yourself be.
- Have fun and enjoy the process: Finally, remember that ecstatic dance is meant to be a joyful and transformative experience. Don't take it too seriously and allow yourself to fully immerse in the experience.
So put on your dancing shoes, leave your inhibitions at the door and get ready to experience the pure joy and freedom of Ecstatic Dance!