An easy, healthy hit for mid-week eating
Need mid-week recipe inspiration? Look no further than this week’s simple, grain-based bake.
Serves one as a main or two as a side dish.
- 500g packet of microwaveable mixed grains (or any combination of quinoa, pearl barley, lentils, chickpeas, red rice etc.)
- 150g soft goat’s cheese
- Three sliced beetroots (or a pre-cooked wet vegetable such as courgette, aubergine etc. if beetroot not preferred)
- 500g bag of spinach
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Small handful of pumpkin seeds
- Pinch of mixed herbs such as pepper, oregano, sage, thyme etc.
- Heat the mixed grains in the microwave according to the cooking instructions
- Once cooked, place the mixed grains a pan with the spinach and the stock, heating on a low setting until half of the liquid has been absorbed and the spinach has wilted
- Add the grains and spinach in stock to a shallow, small oven-proof dish
- Chop up the beetroot into cubes and add to the dish along with the goat’s cheese and herbs
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 10 mins at 180 degrees centigrade