Activated charcoal seems to be the current buzz and is popping up on the shelves of the juice bars in the know.
This sparked my interest and I decided to do some research to its benefits and create my own tonic that I love taking whenever I feel a cleanse is beneficial to my system.
Activated Charcoal is a potent natural treatment used to trap toxins and chemicals in the body, allowing them to be flushed out so the body doesn’t reabsorb them. It’s made from a variety of sources, but when used for natural healing, it’s important to select activated charcoal made from coconut shells or other natural sources. I found the following link very useful whilst doing my research: Activated Charcoal Users and have summarised some of the interesting points below.
Activated charcoal uses help promote a healthy digestive tract by removing toxins that cause allergic reactions, oxidative damage and poor immune system function. By removing the toxins from your system, you can reduce joint pain, increase energy and increase mental function.
As we all know it is important to routinely cleanse the digestive tract to support overall health and wellness. Other uses include helping prevent cellular damage to kidneys and liver, as well as supporting healthy adrenal glands. It’s imperative to cleanse toxins and chemicals routinely from the body.
As the general consensus is that it is safe to take during pregnancy and even can relieve the symptoms of morning sickness, it is always wise to consult your GP before taking activated charcoal whilst pregnant.
I bought my capsules in Wholefoods and went for the Dolphin Fitness ones. They are fairly easy to open but be aware, spillage is easily done and the powder is, as expected, pitch black. So make sure you don’t open them whilst wearing your brand spanking new white yoga wear from our last collection 😉
Enjoy my recipe, or try the East London Juice Co* Charcoal Milk (Not to be taken if pregnant). I am really looking forward to my interview with the founder of the amazing East London Juice Company (Which is so much more than a juice company…), which will be up this coming Monday!
Re//Store Kitchen’s Black Lemonade Tonic:
- 1.5 L
- Ingredients for 1 tonic
- 1 Activate Charcoal Capsule
- 1 Tsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Maple Syrup, or more depending on taste.
- optional: 1 Tbsp Aloe Vera Juice
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Jam jar to shake the tonic in. I am a big fan of the East London Juice Co. jars and love to re-use them for anything. I store my seeds, legumes, and you name it in there and I use them for my juices and shakes.
- Filtered water as needed.
- Add all ingredients apart from the water into the jar, ensure to open the capsule with care.
- Fill your jar with filtered water, not all the way to the top so there is space to shake.
- Close the lid and give it a good shake, then oil to the top and give it a last shake.
- Et voila, your cleansing tonic is ready to pour..